Sunday, July 17, 2022

Poetry Entry 1: Outsider

Photo by Jaime Parker Chase, taken at Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center
Photo description: a forest edge and meadow, blue sky with wispy clouds

 

Outsider    7/11/2020

Standing still in a small grove,

Within a few leaping bounds of the forest edge

I am timid in my exploration.

I haven't braved the thicker underbrush

to move deeper within the forest.

A giant oak towers above me

branches grasping for the limited sky.

I too, am grasping.

Grasping to understand,

to read this forest's story.

Who is speaking in the canopy overhead?

The voices belong to birds,

neighbors who haven't yet introduced themselves,

other than through their foreign song.

Gnats buzz around my face with gossip

as the elder trees groan in the wind.

The sun hides behind passing clouds

causing me to move back onto the beaten path

to tread around the forest's edge.

I feel like an outsider

who may travel on the paths,

but whose destination has never been this land,

this stand of trees,

under this ash tree, 

beside this thicket. 

Until today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Entry 4: Nature Journaling 3

Wow since the last time I blogged so much has changed! I finished my AmeriCorps service year in WA, moved back in with my mother while worki...